alysonstoneman (at) hotmail.com
Poet, Arts Project Manager and Editor
AHRC-funded Midlands3Cities Doctoral Researcher in ‘Contemporary Poetry, Sea-level Rise and Coastal Flooding’ at Nottingham Trent University
2007 – 2008 MA Creative Writing (Distinction), Nottingham Trent University
1996 – 1999 BA (Hons) English (2.1), Nottingham Trent University
1995 – 1996 Foundation Year in Theatre Design (Merit), Nottingham Trent University
1994 – 1995 Diploma In Foundation Studies Art & Design (Merit), Exeter College
1987 – 1994 A-Levels: Art & Design (A) English Literature (A) History of Art (B)
Maynards, Exeter: Awarded School A Level Prize, A-Level Art prize, and A Level English prize
GCSE’s: (A) Art & Design, English Language, English Literature, Latin; (B) French, History; (C) Mathematics; (D) Chemistry, Physics, Biology
Other Qualifications, Training and Certificates
Full UK Driving Licence (clean) and Pass Plus; Enhanced DBS (2015); Certificate in Preparing to Teach In the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTTLS); City and Guilds Diploma in Photography. Public Liability insurance to 5M; proficiency in driving LWB van; car owner.
Skills and Experience
- Project Management (Literature, Arts and Combined Arts): All aspects of programming, managing and evaluating creative projects including large-scale public art installations, filmmaking, performance, festivals and events. Working with the public, private, charity, and education sectors and with community groups; staging events and curating exhibitions in traditional and non-traditional spaces; selecting, interviewing and/or commissioning and co-commissioning artists; managing budgets and contracts; coordinating volunteers and developing volunteer opportunities; partnership working; working with young people and hard-to-reach communities; reporting and evaluation.
- Experience of student support and devising and delivering workshops and training in the Community, Arts and Lifelong Learning Sectors: Guest-lecturing at the University of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent University and working as a Learning Support Tutor at Nottingham Trent International College. Creative Practitioner roles included working with SOPHIE (Supporting Our Families In Education), with Platform 51 Young Mums Group, Everybody’s Reading Festival in Leicester and Nottingham Literature Festival.
- Excellent IT skills using Mac and PC, including MS Office, Outlook, digital media/social networking (Facebook, Twitter, WordPress) and blogging; Fully equipped home office including computer, laptop & printer. Freelance Creative Practitioner (Poetry and Writing).
Prizes/Awards: Winner of Buxton Poetry Competition 2015; Winner of Nottingham Poetry Society Performance Poetry Competition 2011.
Published work: ‘Lost Lands’ poetry pamphlet published by Crystal Clear Creators (2012); Dawn Of The Unread ‘Ms Hood’ chapter (DOTU winner of the Guardian Award for Teaching Excellence 2015); poems and articles in New Walk Magazine, Crystal Clear Creators Ten Year Anthology, Staple, Fin, The Coffee House, LeftLion Magazine, Cosmopolitan, Mondo, Ministry, City Lights.
Live Performance: Copenhagen International Poetry Festival (2013),Tongue Fu at Night of the Festivals (2013), Ledbury Poetry Festival (2012), Summer Sundae Festival, Southwell Poetry Festival, Lowdham Book Festival, Lyric Lounge (East Midlands Tour), WORD!, etc.
Commissions and Professional Development: Poet-in-Residence for SPUD The Observatory at National Trust Mottisfont (2016-17); Final Stage Spoken Word Mentoring Project with Renaissance One, WEM, and Jean Binta Breeze MBE (2013-2014); Lyric Lounge Poet-in-Residence 2010 (Writing East Midlands) with mentoring from Jo Bell (Director, National Poetry Day) and Cathy Grindrod (former Derbyshire Poet Laureate); WEYA 2012
Events: Organiser/producer/presenter/MC for Shindig! (2011) and LeftLion Live events
Professional Voluntary work: Poetry Editor at LeftLion Magazine (2010-Present), Member of the Board of Directors for Nottingham Writers’ Studio (2011-2015).
- Arts Project Coordinator, Junction Arts, Derbyshire
October 2011-December 2016
Coordinating participatory arts projects in rural post-industrial communities including fundraising, programming, commissioning, partnership working, budget management, managing volunteers, documenting projects and evaluations.
- Lyric Lounge Commissioned Writer 2010-11 (Writing East Midlands)
Writing workshops with Platform 51 Young Mums Group leading to a live performance.
- Social Networking Consultant & Online Facilitator, Candlestick Press, Freelance PT 2010-2011
- Administration Officer, Architects of Air, Nottingham (Freelance) PT 2010-2011: Management of the Nottingham Office including organisation and administration of the international tour of pneumatic sculptures, and finances.
- Everybody’s Reading – Creative Practitioner (Freelance) October 2010: Running Community writing workshops, delivering a creative response to the festival.
- Freelance Coordinator (Fixed Term 2 years), Nottingham Writers’ Studio: Fixed Term freelance contract 01/11/2008 – 06/08/10 http://www.nottinghamwritersstudio.co.uk
Administering and developing the physical and online space in association with a management Board, including programming events, managing membership and programming a series of professional talks and writer development activities.
- Coordinator, Writing Industries Conference, Loughborough University
Fixed Term freelance contract, various hours 01/11/2009–31/03/2010 http://writingindustries.com/
Working with Writing East Midlands (www.writingeastmidlands.co.uk) and Literature Network (literaturenetwork.org) to develop and produce WIC 2010. Programming and coordination of venue and volunteers.
- Sessional Learning Support Tutor at Nottingham Trent University
NTIC, Various hours HE and FE tutor support work, working with post-16 international students.
- Marketing Assistant, Publications and Promotions 03/01/08 – 15/01/09
Maternity cover fixed term. New College Nottingham
Copywriting and proofreading for the publications department and creating newsletters, adverts, flyers and posters. General Marketing and Promotions work.
- Active Lifestyle Co-ordinator University of Nottingham 15/03/06 – 31/12/08
Organizing an affordable programme of activities for students and recruiting and managing a team of student volunteers.
Travelling, horse riding, reading, walking/hiking/yomping/tramping, yoga, playing the piano and harp, swimming.
References on request
Additional Notes on Writing CV
Aly Stoneman is the Poetry Editor at LeftLion Magazine, Project Coordinator for rural participatory arts charity Junction Arts, and has an MA in Creative Writing (Distinction). Lost Lands, her debut pamphlet, was published by Crystal Clear Creators in 2012. Winner of Buxton Poetry Prize (2015) and Nottingham Poetry Society’s Performance Poetry Competition in 2011, she was also a commissioned Poet in Residence for Lyric Lounge, running creative workshops in the community and presenting spoken word sessions. She has read and performed her work at many festivals and events including Ledbury Poetry Festival, Copenhagen International Poetry Festival, and most recently as part of Renaissance One‘s mentoring scheme, The Final Stage, led by Jean Binta Breeze MBE.
Performance and Publishing (Highlights)
2015: Winner of Buxton Poetry Prize; Panel member at The Writers’ Conference; Publications – The Coffee House; Crystal Clear Creators 10-Year Anthology
2013: The Final Stage (Renaissance One); Copenhagen International Poetry Festival; Night of the Festivals Tongue Fu at Night of the Festivals
2012: Lost Lands (debut pamphlet) published by Crystal Clear Creators; Winner of Crystal Clear Creators National Publishing Competition, mentored by Mark Goodwin; Ledbury Poetry Festival Guest Poet; Bathing Beauties Festival 2012 Guest Poet; Commissioned Poet WEYA (World Event Young Artists) through Writing East Midlands; States of Independence (Leicester)
2011: Winner of Nottingham Poetry Society Slam; Hearing Voices (publication)
2010: Commissioned Poet for Lyric Lounge Nottingham; Everybody’s Reading, Leicester
Performance 2009-2014: WORD! in Leicester; Shindig!; Jazz and Poetry (Hotel Deux); (Nine Arches Press); Southwell Poetry Festival; Lowdham Book Festival; Arnold Library; The Lambhorse Cabaret; Canning Circus Extravaganza with LeftLion Magazine; Oxjam (Nottingham); Word of Mouth (Nottingham Writers’ Studio); Staple Magazine at Quad (Derby); Hello Hubmarine (Derby); Lyric Lounge (Leicester); Speech Therapy; Nottingham Artists Open Studio and Sideshow (The Refectory, Nottingham) and more….
Publishing: My writing has been featured in numerous journals, arts and culture/industry/leisure magazines, including Raphael Daden’s artists’ catalogue and website.
Other: Profiled on the websites of Writing East Midlands (August 09) and Literature Network (December 09) as their featured writer; invited guest on BBC Radio Nottingham; a judges for the Charnwood Arts MiniWords Competition 2009 and Nottingham Poetry Society Performance Competition 2010.
Grants: Writing East Midlands and The Arvon Foundation have supported my development as a writer.